26 Aug 2016

Downton Abbey - Highclere Castle


I am a fan of the hit T,V series Downton Abbey so me and my friends decided to visit Highclere Castle where the show was filmed. It was also a filming location for a British comedy series for Jeeves and Wooster.

back view of castle
front door
if you are planning to visit the castle DONT RING THE DOOR BELL! I for some reason didnt think the door bell was in action and their wasn`t a sign to say don`t ring it, and me being me with my childish mind decided to press the door bell and got told off!

front door decoration
side view
Being a Savvy/frugal person, I didn't like the price of £22.00 to look around only certain parts of the building and the Egyptian Exhibition, plus i was deeply upset that i wasn't allowed to take any photography from the inside. I did how ever enjoy what i got to see and experience.  I liked the fact that in every room their would be a member of staff you could ask questions to.

I decided to ask a lovely lady why no one was allowed to take pictures. She explained one of the reasons being was because their is family photos around the house of the people who own it and for security reasons. I asked if i was allowed to take photos from the outside and she said i could take as many as i liked. sooooo when i went outside i took some photos through the window...


 
I blurred a family picture out

 
 
As you can see, the house is so beautiful! There is fine details all around! the ceilings, the leather and fabric walls, the furniture and decorations! Just imagine living with such finery! I saw many beautiful rooms inside and really wished I could share the beauty with you! I really would of loved to take a picture of myself in the dinning room, as this played a huge part in Downton Abbey. 

Many tourists from all over the world had come over to England, Hampshire to admire Highclere Castle, and was deeply upset when they found out they couldnt even take a snap to show family back home. One of the staff members told me a lady from Australia was in floods of tears because of this. You can however buy a book from the gift shop for £19.50 that has pictures in. i know its not the same as having your own moments caught on camera.


The grounds are also a remarkable sight to see! so spacious and so beautiful! This time of year is great as all the flowers are in bloom.



I do recommend this lovely day out to anyone who is a fan of Dowton abbey, would like to see the Egyptian Exhibition (what i enjoyed seeing as i loved learning about the ancient Egyptians as school) and people who are interested to see what its like to live the luxury life!

To see the castle, gardens and exhibition is costs - £22
castle and gardens - £15.00
Exhibition and gardens - £15.00
gardens only - £7.00

we turned up on the day spare of the moment as was able to get tickets at the gate, but if allot of tickets have been pre booked they dont sell as many at the gate, so I would recommend pre booking on their website 

No comments:

Post a Comment